The children in Early Years have had so much fun celebrating Chinese New Year this week. Our story of the week was Dragons in the City and we have found out so much about the special festival. During the week we have been:
– writing our names in Chinese
– making dragon masks
– using our phonics skills to write all of the animals from the Chinese New Year story
– using our cutting skills to make Chinese lanterns
– developing our finger strength when using chopsticks and pouring rice
– using adjectives to describe Chinese dragons
– watching clips about how people celebrate Chinese New Year
– putting gold coins in red envelopes to wish each other good fortune
-writing wishes for our Chinese wishing tree
– working as a team and following instructions to build a paper chain dragon
– building our own Chinese temples in the Construction Area
and so much more!
On Friday, we had a whole day of Chinese celebrations including a yoga lesson, building a giant dragon puppet and doing some Chinese dancing with instruments and music, listening to Chinese singing and even trying some Chinese food. We were all brave and tried something new including vegetable spring rolls, noodles and sweet and sour sauce. It has been lovely to see the children so engaged, asking so many sensible questions and showing so much respect to people who celebrate different festivals to them. Well done Pre-School and Reception and Kung Hei Fat Choi!
Please look at more of our fabulous photos in our Gallery.